SAFETY AT WORK
Victims of domestic violence are especially vulnerable at work because abusers know where to find them. There are steps you can take to protect yourself while at work:
- Talk with someone at your workplace you trust regarding your situation.
- Notify security of your safety concerns. Provide a picture of the abuser and a copy of protective orders to security, supervisors, and reception area staff.
- Have your calls screened, use a password.
- Review the safety of your parking arrangements. Have someone escort you to your car, and obtain a parking space near the building entrance.
- Ask co-workers to call the police if the abuser threatens or harasses you at work.
- Ask for flexible or alternate hours.
- Ask to relocate your work space to a more secure area.
- Review the safety of your child care arrangements. Give a picture of your abuser and a copy of the protective order to the day care provider. If necessary, consider selecting a new day care site.
- Request that all information be treated with confidentiality to provide for your safety and well-being.